On Tuesday night I went to the cinema and saw the new Pirates of the Caribbean (excellent) and then last night I saw Serenity – also excellent, but as I sat watching my film enjoying a bottle of fine wine, something occurred to me:
Why do you have to be a Hero to wear boots?
* (based on the assumption that you and they are men)
Think of all the great heros of cinema, they almost all wear boots, and not just walking boots but great knee high black leather boots – and they still manage to kick ass. If you or I walked down the street in a pair of knee black boots, you would get your ass kicked. I mean you could get away with it as a Goth on your way to a special club, but not for a cheeky pint or a few vegetables.
- Serenity – boots galoore
- Jack Sparrow – a fine set of boots – although I guess this is historically accurate.
- Han Solo – boots
- Luke Sky Walker – boots
I have also identified a few sub types, for instance Bad guys and Super Heros normally wear a kind of fetish wellington boot (as does a good friend of mine, and mutual friends know exactly who I mean).
- Darth Vader – black wellington boots
- Super Man – red wellington boots
- Batman – black wellington boots
- Spider Man – red wellington boots
The final sub type is heros who do not wear boots:
- Bruce Willis (die hard films)
- The Hulk
I have only able to identify a single hero who wears boots that would make being a hero or a farmer a prerequisite of ownership:
- Indiana Jones